August 10, 2011

Proud American



 Today my dear hubby became an American Citizen! I got to witness the ceremony and it was definitely pleasant to see. They first announced what they were going to do in order, then we sang the national anthem, then they called out each former country the person was from and made them stand when they heard their country. 
 Then they told them to sit, then they had them sing a song called "Proud to be and American" waving flags and all. Then they made them stand and hold up their right hand to take the oath of becoming a US citizen.

 Oath
 "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."




Then after taking the oath they said the Pledge of Allegiance. Then a message from Obama was viewed on TV to the NEW US Citizens.
 Message from our President: Barack Obama

  
I am honored to congratulate you on becoming a citizen of the United State of America. You represent the promise of the American Dream, and, because of your determination, this great Nation is now your Nation. You have sworn a solemn oath to this country, and you share in its privileges and responsibilities. Our democratic principles and liberties are yours to uphold through active and engaged participation. I encourage you to be involved in your community and to promote the values that guide us as Americans: hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism. Since our founding, generations of immigrants have come t this country full of hope for a brighter future, and they have made sacrifices in order to pass that legacy on to their children and grand children. This is the and the promise of citizenship. You are now part of this precious history, and you serve as an inspiration to those that will come after you. We embrace you as a new citizen of our land, and we welcome you to the American family.




Then they handed out their certificates and then finally we got to go home. I had a nice time witnessing a ceremony like this; it was so amazing seeing so many different nationalities in the room. I even met a new Jamaican friend, her husband happened to be taking the oath today too. Well I want to congratulate my hubby for finally becoming a US citizen, I love you Javi!